Churchill Jewelers – Founded in 1918, is the second oldest business in Santa Barbara. First Crescent was honored to be selected to redesign their web site. We facilitated the entire development and creative process. First Crescent worked carefully, methodically, and meticulously with Churchill gathering information, imagery, and deliverables. The resulting stunning graphics are core to the redesigned site’s dramatic impact.
Problems – Churchill had an aging web site, that was likely doing more harm than having no web site at all. The previous web site had been built by an advertising company that kept a firm grip on access to the source files. Under this companies control, even the web server was closed to everyone except the company itself. This outdated business model is unfortunately still prevalent in the web industry. Churchill had no means to even implement simple updates to their web site without paying the advertising companies exorbitant rates.
Solutions – We were honored to be called into the project and the first thing we did was to setup a new web hosting account for Churchill. The new account was set up this time under Churchill’s total control this time as it should be. We setup a development web site on the new server and begin the preproduction process. Fortunately we had experience building 2 other Jewelry Store web sites and knew how best to proceed with this ground-up redesign. The focus was on the navigation schema and the layout and design. After our extensive preproduction survey, I brought in 4 of my best artsts, with 4 distinct styles to each come up with their vision for the new site. The mockups were reviewed and after a few rounds, the final artist was selected and we moved forward from there. It took some time to select the graphics for their new site. The entire web team was meticulous in every decision. Fortunately they took the time to get it right.
Since there were at least 2 developers working on the integration of the artwork and the final development of the site, the team chose today’s state of the art version control development environment. At long last, the site was finally ready for launch. The domain name and mail records were still under the control of the previous advertising firm, so I called in my IT guy to facilitate the complexities of this launch. The launch was successful and the transition smooth. The email accounts all continued to function properly without a hitch and the new site was up within a few hours of the pulling the switch.